Central America is home to over 20 percent of the world’s biodiversity. With primary rainforest and diverse habitats, there are many species of birds, mammals, reptiles and insects: creating a higher bio-diversity than North America and Europe combined!
The region’s chain of volcanic mountains joins North and South America, and the Panama Canal connects the Caribbean to the Pacific Ocean.
Our challenging bike ride will take us through all three Central American countries, from Panama City to Managua in Nicaragua. We will ride along the beautiful Caribbean coast with banana and pineapple plantations, climb though primary rainforest and pass smoking volcanoes.
This is not any normal challenge! 487 hot, humid, tough kilometres – but what an experience!
NB: This Guide Itinerary reflects our Open Challenge itinerary. If you are interested in a Bespoke Challenge (a trip we are running for one specific charity), please be aware that the itinerary and trip duration may vary. Please also note that each charity sets its own prices & booking conditions on a Bespoke Challenge.
- DAY 1: Fly from London to Panama City; transfer to hotel
- DAY 2: Transfer via the Panama Canal across scenic Panama to the Fortuna Forest Reserve.
- DAY 3: Start our ride with spectacular views of Caribbean Sea below and descend through dense primary rainforest; head north along coast on undulating road to our hotel near Almirante
- DAY 4: We head towards Costa Rica tackling several hills on the way. After crossing the border we continue our ride along a variety of roads, through small busy villages and tropical plantations
- DAY 5: Fairly flat ride along the coast to Limon with palm trees and beaches along the coast interspersed with villages and dense jungle
- DAY 6: Transfer to start of ride at San Rafael to Upala and onto La Cruz and our hotel
- DAY 7: Cycle the Pan American Highway to Costa Rica-Nicaragua border; stay near the lake-side of Lago Nicaragua in front of Volcans Concepcion and Maderas
- DAY 8: Ride takes us north heading for Granada, most beautiful of Central American cities and our finish point
- DAY 9: Free day to explore the churches, museums and plazas of Granada
- DAY 10: Depart Granada for Managua and our flight back to the UK
- DAY 11: Arrive UK
If this challenge inspires you, you may also like: