Stretching 6000km in a dotted line across China, the Great Wall was begun in the 5th Century BC. As it snakes across the mountains it conjures up a sense of history which is difficult to grasp until you have had the opportunity to experience it.
Our trek is very varied, as we pass through woodland and terraced farmland, and follow the contours of the beautiful hills and mountains in remote areas north of Beijing. We follow old sections of the Great Wall, as well as restored sections with smooth flagstones and lots of steps!
This challenge is physically demanding and offers fabulous scenery and a fascinating insight into a rich culture and history.
Experience the Terracotta Warriors on our exciting extension trip > >
NB: This Guide Itinerary reflects our Open Challenge itinerary. If you are interested in a Bespoke Challenge (a trip we are running for one specific charity), please be aware that the itinerary and trip duration may vary. Please also note that each charity sets its own prices & booking conditions on a Bespoke Challenge.
- DAY 1: Depart London for Beijing
- DAY 2: Arrive Beijing, free until dinner
- DAY 3: Depart Beijing, first view of Great Wall; afternoon trek around Huangyaguan
- DAY 4: Climb ‘Heaven’s Ladder,’ follow mountain ridges and Wall to small village
- DAY 5: Trek through rich fertile valleys; short transfer to Jinshanlin
- DAY 6: Longest day from Jinshanlin alongside well-preserved section of Great Wall
- DAY 7: Classic mountain views as trek Wall into remote mountains towards Simatei
- DAY 8: Explore the Mutianyu section of Wall; fabulous mountains views
- DAY 9: Hilly circuit of restored wall at Juyongguan; return to Beijing
- DAY 10: Free day Beijing; Forbidden City tour
- DAY 11: Fly Beijing to London
If this challenge inspires you, you may also like: