Costa Rica has a huge variety of landscapes, climates and environments and it is home to five per cent of the planet’s biodiversity. From palm tree-lined tropical beaches to smoking volcanoes, cloud forest, rainforest and mangrove swamps – it all awaits us in Costa Rica!
Our coast to coast challenge is an adventurous journey on foot and by raft from the Pacific to the Caribbean Coast! Our route takes us from traditional farming communities through coffee plantations and oak forests, deep into cloudforest and dense tropical rainforest, serenaded by howler monkeys and exotic bird calls. We take in one of the country’s highest volcanoes before our challenge ends with an unforgettable journey by raft and boat to a beautiful tropical beach.
This is a challenging trip through remote and rarely-visited regions. The terrain is tough with some hard climbs but the rewards are immense!
- DAY 1: Depart London for San Jose; transfer to hotel
- DAY 2: Transfer to Pacific Coast south of Quepos. Coach to start point
- DAY 3: Trek from Londres to San Isidro, gradual climb to edge of rainforest
- DAY 4: All day trek in the rainforest until we reach camp for the night
- DAY 5: Continuing through the forest descending to the Rio Brunjo and on to Naranjo
- DAY 6: Leaving the Los Santos Reserve and heading to Santa Maria de Dota,
- DAY 7: Trekking on mule tracks to La Esperanza
- DAY 8: Head into cloud forest then transfer to Turrialba, one of the highest volcanoes in the country
- DAY 9: Trek then raft in the Pacuare River for 19 miles (approx) to Siquerres, transfer to Matina, then boat ride to Cahuita
- DAY 10: Free morning to relax. Afternoon transfer to San Jose, free evening
- DAY 11: Depart San Jose
- DAY 12: Arrive UK
If this challenge inspires you, you may also like: