Our adventure starts with superb views of the Atlantic coast before heading inland – and up! The foothills provide us with a useful warm-up before we move on to the mighty, spectacular giants of the Pyrenees – including the legendary climbs of the Col d’Aubisque and the Col du Tourmalet.
Conquering these mountains will earn you a fantastic sense of achievement and give you something in common with the most elite cyclists in the past 100 years! This is a very strenuous challenge taking in at least two mountain climbs each day - you will need to train extremely hard to succeed.
- DAY 1: Meet in Biarritz, transfer to the coastal port of Hendaye on the French/Spanish border
- DAY 2: Head inland through lovely scenery and Basque Villages over foothills inlcuding the Col d’Osquich (500m)
- DAY 3: On into the Pyrenees, to the legenadary Col D'Aubisque (1709m), flowing decents via the Col du Soulor (1474m) to the valley bottom
- DAY 4: Tough day today with three major climbs including the infamous Col du Tourmalet (2115m), we end the day in Bagneres de Luchon
- DAY 5: A valley floor ride before the Col d'Ares (797m) and then the Col De Portet d'Aspet (1069m)
- DAY 6: A change of scene as we ride through gorges and wooded valleys to reach the Col d'Agnes (1570m) and onto Ax-les-Thermes
- DAY 7: The second highest peak of the challenge the Port De Pailheres (2001m); fabulous descent towards Mediterranean, finish by the sea
- DAY 8: Free day in Argeles sur Mer
- DAY 9: Depart from Perpignan
If this challenge inspires you, you may also like: