From high remote mountain trails to the first sight of Machu Picchu, the legendary Lost City of the Incas, this is a challenging trek on steep trails climbing to 4200m in fantastic and diverse mountainous country.
There is plenty of time built in to acclimatise to the altitude - enjoy exploring ancient Cusco, capital of the Inca Empire, and the surrounding Sacred Valley. The trek then takes us through lush cloud forest, green valleys and high passes with breathtaking views of snow-capped Andean peaks, with time to stop and explore fascinating Inca temples and settlements along the way.
NB: This Guide Itinerary reflects our Open Challenge itinerary. If you are interested in a Bespoke Challenge (a trip we are running for one specific charity), please be aware that the itinerary and trip duration may vary. Please also note that each charity sets its own prices & booking conditions on a Bespoke Challenge.
- DAY 1: Depart London for Peru
- DAY 2: Arrive Cusco; gentle acclimatisation
- DAY 3: Day-trek through Sacred Valley visiting ruins including Sacsayhuaman
- DAY 4: Start Inca Trail at km82, follow Urubamba river through mountains
- DAY 5: Trek through grassland and cloudforest to Dead Woman's Pass (4200m), descend to Pacamayo
- DAY 6: Cross pass at 4000m, Inca steps and ruins, descend to Winay Wayna
- DAY 7: Early start for Sun Gate and Machu Picchu; return to Cusco
- DAY 8: Free day in Cusco; chance to visit community project
- DAY 9: Fly via Lima to London
- DAY 10: Arrive London
See also the Lares Trek to Machu Picchu, our alternative route to the Inca Trail > >
Explore the Amazon rainforest on our exciting extension trip > >
If this challenge inspires you, you may also like: