From high remote mountain trails to that first sight of the legendary Lost City of the Incas, Machu Picchu, the Lares trek is an alternative to the classic Inca Trail trek.
This beautiful route takes you through stunning and diverse landscapes, from snow capped mountains to crystal clear lakes and green valleys. This is a challenging trek on steep trails climbing to the high Huchayccassa mountain pass of 4400m, with breathtaking views of snow capped Andean peaks.
There is plenty of time built in to acclimatise to the altitude in Cuzco and on the first day’s trek. Explore traditional mountain villages and towns en-route, and there is time at the end to explore the many attractions and markets of Cuzco, capital of the Inca Empire.
- DAY 1: Depart London for Peru
- DAY 2: Arrive Cuzco; gentle acclimatisation in city
- DAY 3: Sacred Valley acclimatisation day-trek; visiting ruins including Sacsayhuaman
- DAY 4: Trek from Totora, along old Incan path with great views of snow-capped peaks
- DAY 5: Gradual ascent to Huchayccassa Pass (4400m), descend via remote village to camp
- DAY 6: Stunning views of lakes and Mt Veronica as ascend Ipsayccassa Pass (4490m); descend via villages to Rumira
- DAY 7: Scenic train ride to Aguas Calientes; explore Machu Picchu
- DAY 8: Return to Cuzco via Ollantaytambo; free afternoon
- DAY 9: Depart Cuzco for UK via Lima
- DAY 10: Arrive UK
Read one trekker's account of his Andean Trails trek, Steve travelled with us in Oct 2009.If I can do it - so can you!
If this challenge inspires you, you may also like: